7/24/2005

Aluminum Case, White Paint, Death Sled

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usI've got the inclination to continue painting my Forgeworld Scorpion Mark II Tank lately. It's a fine piece of resin and I'm glad to have it, and after six months of it gathering dust I think I should probably try my hand.

So last night I sat down and continued the work I'd started roughly six months ago. I've decided that I want to paint this thing white (with details of other kinds, of course), but when I got that stroke of genius I didn't really understand how hard white is to work with. I primed it white, but that really didn't do the trick. Those of you who have used Games Workshop white primer will know of its limitations. I then did a wash of Space Wolves Grey all over it (very watery). I probably should have started with SW Grey primer, but whatever. I then did another wash of Space Wolves Grey and Reaper Mini's "Pure White" paint (sorry GW guys, it's just better than Skull White and that's all there is to it). It was a ratio of about 3:1, watered down to the consistency of skim milk. Then a mix of 1:1 over that, same consistency. After that, a mix of 1:3. I am now at the point where I am putting actual white on top, and it's going slow (and will definitely require at least two coats). I'll tell you this, though: It's all worth it. The opacity and evenness of the color is so very worth it. I don't regret a thing.

I also picked up a VERY cheap aluminum case from Canadian Tire. You can see it in the photo above. It was too inexpensive to pass on (besides; I actually paid for it months ago and forgot to pick it up), and it makes a fantastic case to store the Scorpion in. The best thing about it, though, is that the Shock And Awe element is going to be sky-high when I walk into the store with this case in my hand. I may handcuff myself to it in order to push the illusion even harder. As I learned from Batman Begins, theatrics matter. When I walk in with the Scorpion II, the Engine of Vaul, the Death Sled, the Gravemaker... I want hearts to stop beating and livers to turn cold.

More on this as it develops.

No comments: