4/15/2005

Falling in love with Eldar... all over again.

Ok. I'm so sleepy right now it's retarded, but I felt like jotting a few words.

It's not that I ever really fell out of love with my Eldar... it's just that I've been getting a bit bored of it. See, I'm the kind of guy whose personality makes him play a certain way. I take a lot of tanks. I take a lot of Aspect Warriors. I don't rely on Guardians like some guys do (though I do use them often because I just feel like it's more Eldar-y to do so). I find that I punch really hard and that I'm very, very tough to take down. My main weakness as a "general" is in small number of models and high points cost for them. So... my games generally go: Farseer, Banshees, Scorpions, Wave Serpent, Falcon, Vyper, Bright Lance, Star Cannon, Lather, Rinse, Repeat...

Ulthwe Seer Council is a particular sub-set of the Ulthwe Craftworld that really caught my attention. It's like a perfect antidote for my usual style of playing. Here's some of the info:
- You must take a Seer Council (meaning lots of points into HQ, which I rarely do)
- You can't take any heavy vehicles like Falcons, Wave Serpents or Fire Prisms (there's another one of my usual techniques gone)
- You can't take more than one squad of Aspect Warriors... period (there goes another one)
- Half your units, rounded up, have to start in reserves (GAKKK!)
- A "Wraithgate" is placed on the table by a unit that carries it, and all your reserve deploy from it.
- If a squad fails a morale roll and falls back, they go to the closest Wraithgate and they never rally... even if they're above half (Ai Carumba)

The benefits?
- You can take Phoenix Lord Maugen Ra without your opponent's permission and at any game point value
- All Defender Guardians and Guardian-driven vehicles (like Vypers and War Walkers) use Black Guardian rules, i.e. they're all at BS4 (except for Storm Guardians, which are WS4).
- You can take all the Dark Reapers you want (as long as they fill up the Heavy Support slots and remain five models and less per unit).

So basically this army weans me off Aspect Warriors (aside from Dark Reapers), encourages the use of Special Characters, forbids the use of heavy tanks and makes it highly advantageous to use Guardians.

So guess what? I'm doing Ulthwe Strike Force... and so far I love it. Here's a 2000 point list I'm currently working on:

Eldrad Ulthran: Shuriken Pistol, Staff of Ulthamar (can either cast a third psychic power, even if it's already been used in the turn, or used as a weapon which wounds on 2+, no save. Can't be do both in the same turn), Eldritch Storm, Fortune, Guide, Mind War, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Ghosthelm

Seer Council
4 Farseers: Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Runes of Witnessing, Ghosthelm, two with Fortune, two with Guide, one with Wraithgate
4 Warlocks: Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, one with Enhance, one with Embolden (oddly enough, Eldrad doesn't make the squad fearless), two with Augment and Runes of Witnessing

(3x) 8 Black Guardian Defender Squad: Shuriken Catapult
Black Guardian Grav Platform & Crew: Star Cannon
Warlock: CC Weapon, Shuriken Pistol, Conceal

(3X) Black Vyper: Bright Lance, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone

(3X) 4 Dark Reapers: Reaper Launcher

Models in Army: 57
Total Army Cost: 2000


Watch this space for more news about the development of my Ulthwe Strike Force army and the use thereof. I bet I'll have some things to say about it...

No comments: