10/31/2005

Duelling Farseers

My buddy Bill challenged me to a "Paint Off". Turns out we both have one of those old, old Farseer models with the pointy finger, and in the course of an MSN chat he challenged me to a competition. After a few "Oh No You Dinnits" and "Mm-Hmms" for posturing, we agreed to set the end of November as a deadline for Most Fabulous Farseer 2005, to be judged by the members of Deep Space.

This is how the Farseer basically looks (with a little black primer). Notice that, like a lot of old models, the details aren't so sharp. I, personally, find that a bit of a challenge, but whatever.

Step one:
When I bought this guy he was already primed black, so work with what ya got, right? Slathered him with a few layers of Enchanted Blue to get the basic color going. Later decided it'd be cool to have a yellow sash and made the ridiculously retarded decision to paint the sash in yellow. God, what a mistake. 40 layers later and it looks all chalky and still doesn't cover what's underneath. Guhh. Ok, I also put some white down to form a base for the Wraithbone painting. The exposed parts of the helmet innards (the nose thing, the eyes, the "trench" at the back of the head) were wet-blended from lightened Scorpion Green to Enchanted Blue & Scorpion Green. Black-lined the eyes.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Step two:
Wraithbone helmet: Snakebite Leather, Bleached Bone blended with SB Leather, then Bleached Bone. Wash with a mix of Brown Ink and Flesh Wash (watered way down) and then do some highlights with Bleached Bone and Reaper Mini's Pure White. A touch of highlighting on the blue, but I've realized that I'm going to probably have to do that last if I want it to look good... so that can just wait for now.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Step three:
Black sash, gloss varnish on the eyes, more yellow.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Next:
Ok, not real sure what to do next. I believe I will cover this bastard in runes from head to toe. I imagine I'll have to come up with something clever for the bracelets around his wrist and something for the sword as well... but what? I'll just have to let inspiration direct me. There will be something very special for the base, though... so keep an eye peeled for that later :)

No comments: