2/23/2006

Skinks

I have a Skink problem.

See, a few years ago my ex-wife picked up a box of Skinks from a second-hand store where she was volunteering. At the time I thought she was being nice. In retrospect I'm not so sure that she wasn't making fun of me. I guess I'll never know.

Well, I don't play Warhammer Fantasy, but they were some nice little models, so I primed them up and let the kids paint them up. There was a theoretical agreement that they would take care of them and keep them somewhere nice, but I think that's asking a bit too much of kids so young and, predictably, they sort of started wandering.

If I had to actually locate a Skink in my house, I wouldn't be able to do it. They're not technically "kept" anywhere, so I don't really know where they're hiding, but they keep popping up in unexpected places. Notice in the photo that I was doing a bit of cleaning in a corner near the front door and - suprise - there's a Skink. This one was yellow, but they come in a variety of colors. I've found Skinks in my bed, under the driver's seat in my car and even one in the tub one day. I don't know how they get from point A to point B, but I'm beginning to wonder if they're reproducing. After all, there are only what? 16 in a box? I know I've spotted way more than 16 since they came into my life. Way more.

2 comments:

The Black Knight said...

Call the Orkin Man. Sounds like you've got an infestation! Watch out for the red and orange ones, they're poisonous.

The Shine said...

I hear they do neat things to your mind when you lick them... got any blue ones?