2/23/2006

Skinks

I have a Skink problem.

See, a few years ago my ex-wife picked up a box of Skinks from a second-hand store where she was volunteering. At the time I thought she was being nice. In retrospect I'm not so sure that she wasn't making fun of me. I guess I'll never know.

Well, I don't play Warhammer Fantasy, but they were some nice little models, so I primed them up and let the kids paint them up. There was a theoretical agreement that they would take care of them and keep them somewhere nice, but I think that's asking a bit too much of kids so young and, predictably, they sort of started wandering.

If I had to actually locate a Skink in my house, I wouldn't be able to do it. They're not technically "kept" anywhere, so I don't really know where they're hiding, but they keep popping up in unexpected places. Notice in the photo that I was doing a bit of cleaning in a corner near the front door and - suprise - there's a Skink. This one was yellow, but they come in a variety of colors. I've found Skinks in my bed, under the driver's seat in my car and even one in the tub one day. I don't know how they get from point A to point B, but I'm beginning to wonder if they're reproducing. After all, there are only what? 16 in a box? I know I've spotted way more than 16 since they came into my life. Way more.

3 comments:

Jay MG said...

Call the Orkin Man. Sounds like you've got an infestation! Watch out for the red and orange ones, they're poisonous.

The Shine said...

I hear they do neat things to your mind when you lick them... got any blue ones?

Johanna said...

They are mocking you, you know. You pick them up and put them away, then, when your back is turned, BAM! they are gone to hide again!