If you read this blog then you already know a fair amount of how I do the table thing: Paint it black, then Bestial Brown, then Desert Yellow, then Bleached Bone, then a dusting of Skull White. I'm not gonna go through another series of photos which chronicle it.
Thing is, after I started painting the black, I got an idea from looking at some photos (namely this and this): All this time I've been thinking about adding vines to give a much more "jungly" appearance, but couldn't figure out how to add the green vines to the jungle floor. The answer was simple: Use brown vines, not green.
This simple detail emboldened me to roll up a bunch of Green Stuff "Snakes" and start laying them around on the table (even though I'd started painting).
As you can see, once I built up through the various colors the vines looked really good and very natural.
Ok. Time to move on to the next stage. First thing I did was fill the two "pools" with Dark Green Ink.
While that was drying, I played around with the watered-down glue and added a little bit of flock here and there to the tiles. Now this... this is starting to get close to the effect I've been wanting. Very happy with how this looks.
With a bit of Reaper Mini Pure White, I painted "GW" (for Games Workshop) in one pool and "WS" (for Woodland Scenics) in the other. Then, I started filling each with their respective resin products. I'm going to try to build up slowly in layers rather than pour it all in at once (which is what the instructions say I should have done the first time... duhhh). So the Water Effects Pepsi Challenge is now underway:
Now, I shall eat some cheese and crackers.