8/08/2005

Another Day Of Warhammer

I didn't end up playing the whole seven games that I was slated for; something came up on Saturday night that made Sunday a write-off (long story), but I was able to put in some awesome Warhammer time on Saturday. Here are the results and the pics to go with them.

Marty's Space Marines
When I came to this 2000 point battle, I thought I'd be going up against Marty's Imperial Guard. When he came, he thought he'd be going up against Biel Tan. I brought tons of weak-AP, low-strength, rapid-fire guns. Marty brought heavy models with lots of tank-cracking ability. Unfortunately, Marty was playing Space Marines, not Imperial Guard... and I was playing Ulthwe Strike Force, not Biel Tan. We both brought the wrong tools for the job ahead.

What was interesting, however, is that we played Rear-guard from the 40k 4th ed book. It was the first time I'd tried it and, even though it was sort of weighted to my army more than his, I enjoyed it a lot. See, in Rear-guard you have to start with half your army off the table, but that's how USF works anyhow, so I was rather good to go. It was kind of cool because, due to the sort of mission it was and what models were on the table, my Seer Council had to step forward and do the majority of the fighting... and what fighting it was; hand to hand between what ended up being dozens of models and heavy casualties on both sides. Very exciting game.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Johnathan's Tyranids
In this 1250 point Rescue mission, Johnathan had some cool 2nd-ed Tyranid models and a whole lotta understanding of how to use them. My loss in this game was a fair one; he knew what he was doing. I didn't. In my defense (though I won't say that I didn't deserve the beatdown), I didn't really understand what Tyranids could do. For instance, I didn't realize that the big fathead guy could shoot a psychic blast that peels the paint off my Falcons... or what a venom cannon was... or etc. etc. etc. I consistently put the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time (check out the Striking Scorpions in the photo; the next turn they were assaulted by a Hive Tyrant on one side and a Carnifex on the other). Johnathan used my stupidity against me. As he should have.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Painting Night
I got together with a bunch of my Warhammer buddies (David aka DJRawes, Keith aka Classic88, Benoit aka Zphindar and Matt aka PanzerFaust) at Benoit's house for some painting and socializing. It was a really fun night, but what I think a lot of people will no doubt marvel at is Matt's bitz box. Note that this is not his only bitz box... it's just one of many that he brought with him for everyone to rummage through. Even after Keith and I sifted through it and stole a few pounds of bitz last week, he still had enough to make everyone's jaws drop as we sat around the table sorting the pieces into logical categories. We painted a lot more later, but bitz-skimming was a really fun part of the festivities.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No comments: