8/12/2005

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

I am sorely in need of more Guardians.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want more Guardians. I just need them. Here's why:
- As I am starting to play larger games with a USF army, I am fielding three, sometimes four squads of Defender Guardians with anti-grav platforms... but because I only have 24 Defenders it means I can often only field 6 per squad (plus the two crew and Warlock, of course). I have a bit of trouble being ok with this.
- I have 24 Storm Guardians, but six of them have the flamer/fusion gun. This means that I can only field two squads of ten that are actually modeled for close combat (CCW + pistol) if I want to. This may not sound like a big deal, but it's starting to cause a problem in games where there are large melees, like my recent game against Johnathan.
- I just need more Guardians. Trust me on this.

The problem is that I don't really have enough bits with which to make new Guardians. I dumped out my bitz box and, guess what? I've used most of the good bitz on these bastards. That poses a problem, because I don't like waiting for stuff I want.

I put out a call on Deep Space for anyone who has Guardians to sell, but I didn't let that stop me. Full obsessive-compulsive disorder engaged, I made this Storm Guardian from the bits I did have:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The stick in his hand is from a Dark Elf, and the sword is from a High Elf. The thingie on the end of the stick is probably from a high elf, too. I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I'll probably stick a pistol on his hip so that the freaks who insist on everything being modeled won't lose their cool, but really he'll just behave like a normal Storm Guardian. It does bring to mind, however, the fact that I have done two full blobs of Guardians, each in a completely homogenous way. I am going to start introducing "interesting" Guardians for two reasons: First, I'm seriously getting bored of doing the same thing over and over. Second, it might aid somewhat in the distinguishing of the various units one from the other. Probably more the first reason than the second. Notice that I have already begun the effort to make my squads "interesting" with this chickie, who is a second-ed Guardian I'm converting to be another Stormie. I normally don't like the second-ed look, but as the title says...

Check back another time for pics of this guy all painted up nice (and her, too).

No comments: